Suggestions for what a 72 HOUR KIT should contain
Once you understand the need to have a 72 hour kit and decide where to put them, (home, car, RV, office, school) then itís just a matter of deciding what you want in the kit. The kit in your home should be a very complete kit, covering all areas of concern.
Your office kit could be a very basic kit (food, water, light, heat). This is all up to you and your needs.
1. WATER: 2 LITER BOTTLES, FOIL PACKS, PURIFICATION DEVICES (IODINE, WATER TABLETS, FILTERS) CANTEENS, SOLAR STILL, WATER BAGS.
2. FOOD: FOOD BARS, "MRE'S" (Meals Ready to Eat), CANNED MEAT, PEANUT BUTTER, STEW, NON-COOKING ITEMS.
3. COOKING ITEMS: MESS KIT, UTENSILS, POTS, DISH SOAP, WASH CLOTH, POT HOLDERS, CAN STOVE, FOLDING STOVE.
4. SHELTER: FAMILY TENT, TUBE TENT, SLEEPING BAG, GROUND CLOTH, SPACE BLANKET, SURVIVAL BAG.
5. TOOLS: RING SAW, FOLDING SAW, ROPE, COMPASS, MAP, KNIFE, AXE, SHOVEL, TROWEL, SCISSORS.
6. 1ST AID: 1ST AID KITS, SNAKE BITE KIT, ANTISEPTIC WIPES, MANUAL
7. CLOTHING: PONCHO, SEWING KIT, GLOVES, EXTRA SHOES, EXTRA SET OF CLOTHES LIGHT / HEAVY JACKET.
8. HEAT: CANNED FUEL. MATCHES, FOLDING STOVE, HAND WARMERS, FIRE STARTER.
9. LIGHT: CANDLES, LANTERN, FLASH LIGHT, LIGHT STICKS.
10. COMMUNICATION: SIGNAL MIRROR, WHISTLE, EMERGENCY STROBE, RADIO, PAPER.
11. SANITATION: TISSUES, INSECT REPELLENT, TRASH BAGS, SOAP, PERSONAL HYGIENE PRODUCTS.
12. MISCELLANEOUS: BOOKS, SUN GLASSES, ALUMINUM FOIL, DUCT TAPE, WIRE, MONEY.
13. CONTAINER: BACK PACK, BUCKET WITH LID, PLASTIC BOX, or a TRASH CAN.
With this list you now have a basis to put your kit together. There is no right or wrong ways of doing this. Get what you can afford now! Then make plans on what and when you will acquire the rest of the items.